NATIONWIDE

 Fubara Targets December Completion of New Rivers Assembly Complex

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, says the new House of Assembly complex under construction in Port Harcourt will be completed by December, allowing him to present the 2026 Appropriation Bill in the facility’s main chambers.

Fubara gave the assurance on Monday after inspecting the project site along Moscow Road. He expressed satisfaction with the pace of work, noting that the main contractor, MCC, has subcontracted interior finishing to Julius Berger to fast-track delivery.

The governor said the reconstruction prompted by the fire incident that engulfed the previous complex during the state’s political crisis has progressed significantly. He stressed that lawmakers currently holding sittings at their residential quarters should resume legislative duties at the permanent complex once completed.

“We have worked diligently to ensure that their permanent chambers are ready. The interior and other works have been subcontracted to Julius Berger. I’m impressed with the progress, and I firmly believe the facility will be ready before the end of December,” Fubara said.

He added that while the undamaged section of the old structure will be managed by the Speaker, the state government is focused on completing the main complex to restore full legislative operations.

The Assembly had been split into pro-Wike and pro-Fubara factions following the bombing of the old complex. The crisis intensified as impeachment attempts unfolded, ultimately leading President Bola Tinubu to impose a six-month emergency rule that suspended the governor, deputy governor, and lawmakers.

They were reinstated on 18 September after the emergency rule expired. Since then, Fubara and Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike have declared that peace has returned to the state.

Fubara said the restored calm has made it necessary for the legislators to return to their rightful chambers once reconstruction is completed.

Related posts

Dangote Refinery Has Sufficient Petrol Supply for Nigeria, Says Aliko Dangote

Pristine Newspaper

UK Rejects Nigeria’s Request to Transfer Ekweremadu to Serve Sentence at Home.

Pristine Newspaper

NYSC denies service extension for corper who criticised Tinubu

Pristine Newspaper

Leave a Comment