NATIONWIDE

FG Angered Over Shooting Of NIS Officer On Chinese Expatriate’s Order

The Federal Government has condemned an incident in which a Chinese expatriate allegedly ordered a security officer to shoot a personnel of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) who was on official duty at a Chinese-owned company in Niger State.

In response, the government announced plans to automate its immigration lists—categorizing foreigners into white, grey, and black lists—warning that any individual posing a threat to national security would be swiftly blacklisted.

Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, disclosed this on Thursday in Abuja during a Stakeholders’ Sensitization Workshop on the Implementation of the Nigeria Visa Policy 2025.

Tunji-Ojo stated that Nigeria would not tolerate any form of disrespect from foreign nationals doing business in the country.

“Some foreign companies have, in the past, tried to intimidate Immigration Service officers and obstruct them from carrying out their duties. That will no longer be tolerated,” he asserted.

Citing the Niger State incident, the minister expressed outrage over the attack on the NIS officer, vowing to take the matter up with the Chinese Embassy.

“It is unacceptable for a foreign business owner to order the shooting of a government official in uniform. That is an attack on Nigeria, and it will never happen again,” he declared.

Tunji-Ojo further emphasized that government officials risk their lives to serve the nation and should not be subjected to such treatment.

“A Nigerian officer, a father, a husband, was shot—not by a terrorist, but by someone who should not even have the audacity to threaten him. This cannot happen anywhere else in the world, and we will not tolerate it,” he said.

He warned that no company or individual is above the law and assured that Nigeria would take a firm stance on such matters.

The minister also revealed that a Chinese delegation had earlier approached him regarding concerns over blacklisting but clarified that Nigeria was not targeting China or any specific country.

“We recognize China as a major trade partner, and we will not generalize based on the actions of a few. However, we will not allow the abuse of our immigration protocols,” he said.

As part of efforts to strengthen immigration enforcement, Tunji-Ojo announced the launch of an expatriate administration system from May 1, requiring all foreign workers in Nigeria to register on a central platform.

A three-month window, from May 1 to August 1, will be provided for the regularization of immigration documents.

“After this period, we will transition to enforcement, prosecution, and deportation. Anyone who fails to comply will be assumed to have ulterior motives,” he warned.

Earlier, the Comptroller General of the NIS, Kemi Nana Nandap, disclosed that Nigeria’s visa policy had undergone significant reform, reducing visa classifications from 79 to 44.

The new policy introduces a more efficient e-visa system, allowing applications to be completed entirely online, eliminating the need for in-person visits to embassies or consulates.

“With 13 specific e-visa categories, short-term travel to Nigeria—whether for business, tourism, or academic purposes—will now be more streamlined and accessible,” Nandap stated.

Related posts

FULL TEXT: Tinubu’s Declaration Of State Of Emergency In Rivers State

Pristine Newspaper

TUC Weighs in On Viral Corps Member VS FG Brouhaha, Urges FG To Be Tolerant

Pristine Newspaper

Obasanjo to Babangida: Expect Mixed Reactions to Your Book

Pristine Newspaper

Leave a Comment